View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03   #195
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
If you are a public employee those "employer contributions" are tax money. Your entire compensation package is tax money. Don't play word games.
I wasn't playing word games. Nor was I being disingenuous. Of course funds used by gov agencies are the result of taxes (although some small donations do occur, of course). How else would the public ever receive any services, of even the most basic type, from any form of government if not funded by taxes?

No special taxes, though (like ballot measures, dedicated parcel taxes, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
And who started this crap where it became acceptable for public employees to retire at 50 or 55?
When I was hired the typical life expectancy for a retired cop was often said to be an average of 2 years. The stresses of the job, along with injuries and what's now considered as 'presumptive' health conditions related to the working conditions, took their toll on cops.

It's not an unknown situation for people working in LE.

Perhaps it's better health care, nowadays, along with a better awareness of encouraging healthy lifestyles for public safety employees, and probably better preventive health care, which has seemingly benefited retirees who left the field after the 70's & 80's. Dunno. I can say that I'm seeing people of my "generation" retiring and living longer.

A separate (but related) issue which municipalities have been facing in recent years are work-related disability retirements.

When a large city finds that 70% of its public safety (fire/police) retirements have been work-related disability retirements, what would you change to prevent that from happening?

Even when you factor out the fraudulent claims, it's still a staggering percentage of the workforce that's being injured on the job (including exposure to hazardous materials, pathogens, etc) and are unable to continue serving in their public safety careers.

Personally ... and I acknowledge some small amount of personal bias in this regard ... I think that serving in the public safety field for 25-35 years ought to be long enough for anybody, regardless of what age someone starts.

BTW, I worked in the private sector for more than 10 years before entering LE. My family never had the same sort of everyday worries about whether I'd be coming home at the end of the day.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 01-06-2013 at 01:05..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote