Thread: Newb
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14   #6
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
Don't pay the school up front. Paying a little in advance is fine, but don't trust a school that wants everything up front. They have a nasty habit of going out of business.

You have two basic methods: Part 61 schools, and Part 141 schools. "Part" refers to the section of the Code of Federal Regulations (sometimes referred to as the "FAR's") that provide the rules for the training you'll undergo.

Part 61 schools are generally less structured, more tailorable to your needs. Part 141 schools generally use a strict syllabus, with regular checks on your progress.

You'll be tempted to think that your flight instructor is highly experienced. Usually the flight instructor is the least-experienced pilot in the industry, and it's a "time building" entry-level job. Keep that in mind when shopping around for an instructor. Try to find one with more experience. Remember too that flight hours don't mean much; a 20,000 hour pilot with 10 hours of instruction given is a 10 hour instructor. A 300 hour pilot with 50 hours of instruction given has five times the experience, which is still just a drop in the bucket. It's best to find an instructor who has more flight experience and more instruction experience. You're learning judgement as you go, and those without experience often only know what they've been told...and it's not always correct.

High-wing vs. low-wing in a training airplane...doesn't make any difference.

Look for value, but don't scrimp. Many rental places and schools do minimal maintenance. Schools that also run charter services or that have maintenance repair stations attached often have better maintenance. While the outward appearance of the aircraft isn't really a good indication of the actual mechanical condition of the aircraft, it's a good place to start.

Don't get too caught up in schools advertising all the bells and whistles in the aircraft...GPS and display screens. They're not necessary, and you may be better off learning the basics without too many gimmicks on board.

When a school tells you that you can complete the private pilot certificate in 40 hours, they're telling you about the FAA requirements. Students typically take longer...about 70 hours on the average...which means the cost will be about 35%-50% more than what's advertised. You'll also have other expenses, such as a headset, which can add anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand dollars to the cost.

The more frequently you can fly, the better you'll progress. Shoot for two or three times a week, if you can. The more you space the lessons out, the more time you'll need to get through the training, and the more it will cost.

Ground school is a good idea, but not necessary. You can order training videos or CD's. Most are pretty good, except the King series. Sporty's or other pilot supply places have them. Aviation organizations (AOPA, EAA, etc) and aviation web boards are good places to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
Go to the AOPA site & sign up for 'Flight Training Magazine', it should be free for a student pilot(even wannabe).

Look into some of the aviation forums, piperforum.com is a good place to start. You have to be a member to get to the AOPA forums, another good one.

If I lived closer I'd take you up in my Piper Warrior. It's in the shop for the 'annual' now. I plan to go check in on it today.

If you're really serious, try to make it up to 'Airventure' in Oshkosh, WI this Summer. It's near the tail end of July or so. There is also 'Sun n Fun' in Lakeland, FL in April or so.

For flight training I'd try to keep the flights fairly condensed, once a week or more, weather permitting. That's so you don't have to keep relearning the same thing with longer breaks between.
Thanks, guys. My family got me a groupon for three hours of ground school and a 30-min discovery flight at a local flight school (Cardinal Wings Aviation) that seems reputable; I know for a fact they've been in business at least 15 years or more, as my sister did a ride with them when she was really young with her girl scout troop (amazing reference, I know, lol, but at least I know they've stayed in business). It seems the owner also runs a charter business as well.

Well, I have the ground school initial section on Saturday, and they said I can schedule the flight anytime thereafter. I hear you on the frequency of training; I'm just trying to do as much as I can afford, though. At least I have some extra holiday pay and overtime on my next check!

ETA: Link to the school. http://cardinalwingsaviation.com/

I seem to recall that they are Part 141, but I could be .wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.

Last edited by CJStudent; 01-02-2013 at 10:16..
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote