View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38   #69
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
W.P., it all depends on what polls you look at.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159569/am...pose-bans.aspx

Plus, there are already reports that A+ rated NRA legislators have come out in support of new anti-gun legislation. And even a Repub or two that have made the same type of statements.

I'm not trying to be anything other than logical and realistic about the situation. And I certainly hope that I am 110% wrong on everything I am saying. I hope that I get pounded for having acted like chicken little.

We'll see in the next few days/weeks/months.
From the very poll you linked:

"Notably, the 44% in favor of assault rifle bans in response to this trend question is nearly identical to the 42% Gallup found favoring assault and semi-automatic bans in a Dec. 18 poll. In that survey, participants responded to a question asking about possible approaches to preventing mass shootings at schools, similar to the shooting that occurred Dec. 14 in Connecticut."

Also, if you look at past polling data, it's pretty obvious the current spike in support for any kind of anti-gun legislation is temporary at best. Considering Obama has even made statements indicating he is in no hurry to push for new legislation, I doubt there will be anywhere near enough support from the public for this by the time Democrats are ready to try anything.

None of this is an excuse not to call and email your congressmen, though. Same goes for anyone reading this - no matter how liberal your congressmen are, tell them how you feel. The constant doom and gloom being foretold on this website isn't helping our cause, either. It breeds apathy, and apathy is NOT what we need right now.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 12-29-2012 at 10:39..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote