View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 17:23   #1
sarge

Time to pick your brains again

I do a lot of reading but not a lot of posting. When I have computer problems I have always gotten straight talk here that has solved my problem.

Here's the latest problem.

I have an older Dell desktop that over the last few days has gone from running decently for its age to running like an 80's model 286. It takes forever to boot up and when it does, loading a program has gotten to where it takes minutes at times.

Specs are a Dell Dimension 4600 that will be 10 years old next April, 80GB hard drive with ~5GB free, 2.5GB ram.

Yes, I know it's a boat anchor but all I'm trying to do now is to get it running enough that I can make sure my files are backed up. I think I'm going to Sams on Friday and buying one of their HP's with 1TB drive and 6 GB ram for $488 and ditch this one.

A web site like this one runs OK, but trying to open an email attachment will either take several minutes or finally I get the Not Running error.

One other question while we are on the new computer subject. I run Outlook express and have emails and email addresses and lists that I terrible need to save to the new computer. How do I do that? If I absolutely have to give up the email I can, but I would hate to try to create new email lists.

Thanks for any help.
Big Dawg #241
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote