View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 12:20   #129
hooligan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
...I'm typing this on a MacBook Air that I'm going to drop a 512 Meg HD into in a few months, got a MacBook Pro that I upgraded the HDD to a 256 SSD and upgraded the memory in, got a Mac Mini that I put a second HDD in and upgraded the memory in. Each of those updates took about 15 minutes max. Memory is more along the 30 second to 1 minute change out....

"...There are two key objections to kit you can't easily upgrade or repair. The first is practical and the second is philosophical.
Practical first. Having a non-removable battery isn't ideal, because batteries have a finite lifespan: my ageing MacBook Pro's battery went all bulgy a year ago, but the laptop itself is doing just fine. Traditional Apple batteries are pricey enough, so I wouldn't fancy paying Apple prices to replace the kind of battery you see in the new MacBook Pro.
It's nice to be able to upgrade the RAM, too, but I'm not sure that's a deal-breaker here: the only time I've had to upgrade laptop RAM is because I under-specced it in the first place to save a few quid. 8GB or 16GB on-board seems future-proof enough for three years. The other thing that's likely to go, the SSD drive, should see third-party options appearing before long...
"

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mob...ivable-1085307

This is what I'm talking about. If that's not a concern, more power to you.

OP - I hope you enjoy the new Mac, I know lots of people that own them and love them.
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote