View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45   #107
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
If people say it's a good idea to spend $250 on warranty for you mac, it would seem to imply that the mac is not as reliable as people say.

I personally would not, and did not. Nothing inside the computer, except for the battery and motherboard (naturally) is proprietary. The hard drive and RAM are all off the shelf components. I have personally replaced the HD with an SSD and upgraded the RAM on my MBP using standard components that I bought from newegg. There is no such thing as Mac/Apple RAM or anything else. Apple makes absolutely none of the hardware, with the exception of the motherboard being made specifically for them, just like with any other laptop. If something does go wrong, it will likely be the hard drive, and they are very cheap. It is also very rare for something to go wrong while the computer is under warranty. Remember, no matter who provides the warranty, it is still a money-making operation for the warranty supplier. More likely than not, the $250 to extend the warranty 2 additional years is money down the drain. Absolutely nothing should go wrong with your computer during the span of 3 years, and if something should happen, it will likely still be cheaper to replace on your own.

Having said that, my computer is approaching 2.5 years old. Had I bought Applecare, it would absolutely have been a waste of money. Admittedly I am perfectly capable of fixing computers myself, but even if not, Google has everything you could possibly need to know. And certainly a brief google search is more cost effective than spending $250 only to wait in line for a few hours while an Apple Genius does the exact same thing.
1. One can easily make an appointment over the net and see an Apple Genius Bar person with no wait.

2. For many issues a Genius Bar person will help without Apple Care.

3. Apple Care also avails one to extensive over the phone/email support. For the record I don't buy Apple Care.

ETA - Apple stores also put on little scheduled tutorials about various things Apple - like it or not that's advantage over pc makers. I've never anything similar from a PC maker.

Last edited by .264 magnum; 12-13-2012 at 05:51..
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote