View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 04:21   #230
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdude3407 View Post
Let's be realistic here for a moment. Do I think the founding fathers ever imagined that we would have the weaponry that we have today...of course not. Do I think their idea of keeping and bearing arms included RPGs, Claymores, and Browning M2's...of course not. Also, do I think the normal idiots I see on a daily basis should have access to any of these...no, because YouTube would be littered with videos of people blowing up everything from trash to houses to probably even animals if not blowing themselves up (on accident). As usual, the few that abuse it ruin it for the many. Now, with that being said, I think there is nothing wrong with legalizing it and just making it either a pain in the butt to get or just let cost weed out the idiots. As stated in an earlier post, your average Walmart junkie cannot afford an RPG, Claymore, or an M2. IF they could afford an M2, you certainly couldn't afford to run it at $2+ a round. Heck, monster trucks are legal and so are dragsters but you don't see people rolling around town in them because the average run of the mill joe can't afford it.

So lets look at who can afford it...in my opinion there are two kinds of people with money. Those that earned it legally and those that earned it illegally. Those that earn enough money to own and operate full auto weapons and explosives and tanks and whatever are probably responsible enough to have them, because they obviously were responsible enough to be in a job or own a business that can support it. Those that make that same money illegally really don't care about the law and those are the criminals that own a lot of these weapons illegally now anyway. Once again, you are just limiting the honest people.

Believe me, if you legalized all this foolishness tomorrow, I might be able to buy a few auto firearms, I might be able to even swing an M2...but what good is it in my shop if I can never afford to run it at the range. I just wouldn't own one. I think like everything else, you make it monetarily unattractive for the average Walmart person to own. If you want a monster truck, that's cool...enjoy that tax bill every year. If you want a tank...enjoy that's sales tax on $250,000. If you want any weapon that the military has...enjoy that price tag and the tax you are going to pay when you shell out full price and tax for one of those. I just think it would not be as big of a deal as the lawmakers are making it out to be.

Also, and this maybe unpopular here, but I am ok with the steps to own a Class 3 weapon. It further weeds out the people that want them for no good. Who wants to fill out paperwork and pay an additional $200 to Uncle Sam THEN wait 4-6 months on the paperwork to own just one. Only law abiding citizens. Again, if you are a gang banger, you won't be going to all that trouble to obtain one legally when you want to knock off a store or a person. It is cost prohibitive. So once again, all you are doing is limiting the honest person. Ok...rant over.
Wow, could've sworn this was written by someone from "The Brady Campaign"

If we put the same regulations and laws on other "dangerous to society" things, how would you feel? Let's say boats: You can't have a boat with more than 5hp, anything else you have to have a special license for because there'd be too much havoc on the water.

Swimming pools kill far more people, especially children, than anyone has with a gun, should we put special licenses and taxes on those, as well as hot tubs? Poor people shouldn't own pools, they're dangerous. Only people who can afford to be responsible should have them.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde