View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:21   #198
Bruce M

Notwithstanding the imminent demise of the Second Amendment because it is not allowed to go to Walmart and buy a MANPADS , there are far more people who can carry a concealed firearm than at any other time in our history. When the Constitution was signed there were about 3.9 million people in the US, and if everyone owned both a musket and a handgun (my guess unlikely) I would bet that there are more guns now in just Texas or just Florida alone than there were in the entire nation then. Just the number of permitees in Florida, Georgia, and Indiana amounts to about half of the entire population of the nation in 1787. My guess is that number of people who owned more than one rifle or more than one handgun in the US in 1787 was miniscule; nowadays it is certainly not unusual for a guy to own several guns. A big part of this is economics. Couple the substantial increase in discretionary income with the incredible improvements in communications since 1787, coupled with the fact that there are a dozen different handguns with a scope that would be more effective at 100 yards than would be a musket in 1787, along with the number of people who own guns in the US and oddly I do not feel that the Second Amendment is in any immediate jeopardy despite the fact that a guy can't go to Tractor Supply and buy a mine.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote