View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 00:39   #1
jay1975
Ultra Master

Gen 4 Glock 17: First Range Session

So I took my new G17 to the range today. It is a Gen 4 model with the new style ejector and the "dipped" extractor. I started with just some Blazer 115 gr, brass ammo, but I also was able to shoot some 124 gr NATO ammo as well. The pistol ran flawlessly with no FTF, FTE or BTF's. The Blazer brass was kind of sporadic in that the casing landed anywhere from 3 to six feet to the 3 o'clock with about one in 15 landing right next to my right foot. The NATO ammo was much more impressive in that the brass landed up to 9 feet away. The hotter round still had a bit of sporadic ejections in that some were as close as 4 to 5 feet away, but all in all, they cleared the pistol well and I never even noticed them while firing. I only fired a couple hundred rounds today and will fire a bit more tomorrow and see how that session goes. It will be with more of the Blazer ammo, so I expect some weak ejections. Although I have trained on, and trained others on, the Glock 17, I never cared to own one since the grip never felt right and I had to work hard to shoot it straight, the feel of the Gen 4 convinced me to give owning one a try. I must say, I am glad I got one, since they are so easy to work on; and now with the smaller frame and larger mag release (thank you), they are easier to shoot as well...at least for me that is.
While there have been many detractors of the Gen 4's (I have yet to see a new pistol not draw the ire of the old school diehard's), I must say, Glock did right for those of us who shied away from the older models lack of ergonomics.
I think a Gen 4 19 may be in my future as a summer gun and I will use the 17 as my winter gun (damn addictive guns).
I think Glock has a winner with this new frame style.
jay1975 is online now   Reply With Quote