View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 17:53   #13
bunk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
We discussed Pearl Harbor and December 7th over dinner this evening. My dad and his wife are both old enough to remember hearing about it on the radio way back then and my Dad had an uncle who survived the attack. My Dad's wife asked my 11 year old son if he knew what today was, he said Dec. 7th, Pearl Harbor Day, the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. When I asked him why the Japanese attacked us, he said it was in retaliation for our oil embargo. To say we were all more than a little pleasantly surprised that an 11 year old boy knew this was an understatement.
It's not that simple though and that sounds like it the attack was the solely the fault of the US. Japanese aggression in China started in 1931, Manchuria as I recall. Their need to solve economic issues began with China, expand and control. So the US began economic sanctions and embargo's after Japan declared war on China in 37. Of course Japan continued its expansion into places like Indochina. Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor wasn't just due to an oil embargo, it was also set on a course of expansionism. They needed oil and other resources and we apparently were in their way. They signed into the pact with the axis powers in 1940 and had even named a governor for Alaska and Washington State. Japan (militaristic government) wanted a war and got it...be careful what you wish for.

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote