View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 10:19   #49
dukeblue91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Hey - An SBR is great for all kinds of stuff from impressing the chics at the range with your cool operator stylings, to being easily concealed, lighter to carry and handy indoors in the event this were a real SHTF.

But it is way down on my list of needs. More water, food, meds. fuel, comms, tools, etc...

And having two guns and backup that you are super skilled/confident with is way better than an arsenal of which you have passing familiarity.

I am still very much of the mind that the grand firefight for which all prepare and hope for (yet will pee our pants if ity happens) is mostly a myth for most SHTF's we will encounter.

The reality is that over 30 days we won't shoot 10 rounds. But as always, better to have them when you need them than not have them!

If I really need to go from zero to ready I'd go out and buy a use 870 of any barrel length, and get three boxes of buck shot and one of slugs. Then I'd get a used Glock 19 and a box of Federal SD ammo, and a couple of boxes of 115 FMJ and call it ready. After that 30 days of food and water is more important.
I totally agree with you in that those firefights are mostly in peoples minds and thoughts but the reality will play out much differently.
Concentrating on main supplies is way more important then having 20000 rounds of extra ammo.
The only reason I have more then a couple hundred rounds is that I think that they will make a great barter item and also may be restricted by the government.
I think that the reason so many preppers are so into the guns and ammo is because they already like them and they are already a hobby.
The idea of loosing our toys and the ability to shoot them is terrifying to us and thus why we stock up so much.
In reality it would have less to do with pure survival, and not to say that no one needs a certain amount to protect themselves and their family but having several gun battles with hundreds of rounds exchanged is highly unlikely for most people.

But as they saying goes it is better to have then to want.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote