View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 19:24   #130
G-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
Maybe, just maybe pay hasn't been advertised. And just possibly I start people higher than most of the retailers in the area.
Then it must be something else. With so many people out of work, I just can't see a business not having an abundance of qualified applicants. Unless there was a problem with the job. Like you said it is a cashiers position, not a high skilled labor position. It don't take much to qualify to be a cashier. So finding qualified applicants should be easy. Heck, most high school kids could do it.

However, If you have a reputation of firing people or for being a tyrant it could drive the better applicants to look for a more secure job or a place with better working conditions. A lot of people would rather take a little less money for better working conditions or job security. Word of mouth travels fast and far.

You might want to take a look at your competitors and see how they operate and what kind of employees they attract. If they seem to be getting better employees, then ask yourself "What are they doing that I am not?" Then work to correct those areas.

I am not trying to insult you, really I'm not. But instead of just saying there are no qualified workers out there maybe you should consider why no qualified workers want to work for you. Just because you hang a "help wanted sign" don't mean people will flock to you. You have to give them a reason to want to work for you.

Sometimes the problem is not with everyone else.

Last edited by G-19; 11-18-2012 at 20:58..
G-19 is offline   Reply With Quote