View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 19:59   #17
Contact

Send a message via AIM to Contact Send a message via Yahoo to Contact
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I have kind of wondered the same thing.

Where my parents live the power has gone out in winter for an extended period of time once every other year. For the most part it isn't a problem, BUT there is always the concern for water pipes freezing. What would it take to hook up their GMC Yukon to the Gas furnace in the house? I assume if they heat up the house once a day or once every other day the pipes will not freeze.

Second question:
Assuming I get a truck camper and decide to camp not in a camping ground, what would you recommend for an inverter and what could I power? Can I run the AC in the truck camper? Can I run the microwave? I do not have a truck camper at this time, so this is just part of the deep research for the plan.
Since I'm the one who was here asking questions, I'm probably not the most reliable source of information.

But I will say that my entire 42inch plasma tv, xbox, dvd player setup uses less than 300 watts, however what I've found is that anything that creates heat or cold, uses exponentially more power than anything that just runs steadily. For example, my Keurig coffee maker uses about 5 watts just sitting there, but while it heats up the water it jumps up to around 1350 watts, give or take. My toaster uses about 1600 watts while heating.

I know most of the microwavable products give their directions based on a specific wattage. I've got some frozen burritos in the fridge now that say they are based on 1100 watts, so I'd bet that's about an average give or take a couple hundred watts. Of course the smaller the microwave, the less watts it uses, and the longer the food would take to cook.
Contact is offline   Reply With Quote