View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 14:36   #8
GEN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGun View Post
The Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500 are both assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas and both use parts made in Torreon, Mexico from steel shipped down there from the US. Assembly and QC are done at the Eagle Pass plant and was the subject of a long article in a Laredo, Tx. (I believe) not too long ago. This arrangement is sometimes called a "reverse Maquiladora" program, i.e., U.S. products finished in this country rather than in Mexico. The Eagle Pass plant is a relatively new, state-of-the-art facility and in fact, builds all Mossberg guns now except for any that may be imported already built (from Turkey as an example). All Mossberg warranty work is done out of this plant, and all Mossberg spare-parts inventory is housed there. The Maverick 88 is simply the economy version of the 500, using 95% the exact same parts, (safety arrangement and forearm attachment are different) but costing less because fewer options/upgrades are made available. Somewhat analogous to the Wingmaster 870 vs. the Express 870.

Thanks for putting that in perspective. I don't really care what it says on the outside of my gun. I'm more concerned with the quality of steel and aluminum. If they are using the same quality components then thats all I'm worried about. It seems kinda a waste of money to pick up a 500 based on what you said.
GEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote