View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 16:26   #15
BR549
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
1st....lots of good advice!

I would consider a different path than the one you are currently on..

A little background on myself...

My educational background is electronics engineering, military experience primarily was in electronic communications, my current career is in industrial electrical/electronics/process automation/robotics, I have a side business dedicated to backup power, also I attend renewable energy industry expos, seminars, subscribe to industry publications, etc

Pictured below is the completely automated 8 KW (20 KW Surge) 120/240 sine wave inverter/charger setup I installed & configured in the NE La home...(my other backup setup of 20 KW {44 KW surge} Exeltech MX Inverters is in N Arkansas)

..will automatically transfer power from a failed grid to battery powered inverter backup in a fraction of a second..

.. & it has been providing seamless backup power for my family since the late 1990's...

Survival/Preparedness Forum

AC power sources for the Power Panel are an 8 KW (24 KW surge) fuel efficient, low-rpm Diesel genset..

& the Grid..

For the DC side...this 16 ea. "Golf Cart" battery configured 48 VDC DC Battery Bank (17 KWH usable at 80% DOD) shown here being replaced in early 2006 (still on this 2nd set)

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Now for the advice...

..rather than trying to pound a square peg into a round hole with the gear you currently have..

(possible carbon monoxide issues with running a vehicle for extended periods with accelerated wear, possible damage to your vehicle electrical system {inverters like you describe are designed to convert DC on a short term basis from batteries to 120 VAC used for low power electronics & such, not high power devices like heaters/dryers/etc...not to invert 12 VDC from alternators...and the best batteries for this use are deep cycle...not starting batteries} ,wasting precious gasoline, large power losses/inefficiencies in a inexpensive 12 volt inverter setup, possible damage to your new appliances with modified? sine wave inverters, attempting to sync & stack inverters likely not designed for that purpose, possible invalidation of insurance coverage with a jury rigged non-UL rated setup, possible long runs of expensive heavy gauge copper wiring needed for minimal voltage drop with a 12 volt system, lots of effort expended for little gain, possible dangerous environment for family members or non-knowledgeable others attempting to energize components in an emergency, etc )

..why not sell the gear you have ..

..& work towards a setup (like the one pictured above) that will work well for your purposes?

If you have a tractor...especially a diesel one..

..there are PTO generators that will work well for providing backup power.

Also, there are welding rigs that also work very well as a whole house generator.

Either of the above can be integrated with an battery backed inverter/charger to have an automated backup power system.
I cannot remember how old those pictures are...

...but that picture from ? years ago pushed me to complete a variety of similar setups to run various houses/barns/garages/camps I own...

....however, mine are not the same beause I have certain things that are always run by solar/battery and certain things to which the solar/battery backup are not connected...

...running something fulltime by solar/battery will teach you how long different components can/will last...

.......also...a generator can be used to recharge the batteries......but the sun is less noisy....

...Thanks ehljeewhahn............

Last edited by BR549; 11-16-2012 at 16:27..
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote