View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 14:42   #349
di11igaf
ibew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Dilligaf,

Can you please explain to us how the union has helped the workers at Hostess? It seems to me that as of today there are 18500 unemployed people that didnt need to be unemployed all due to unions.

Simply put the money wasnt there to pay them more. A company doesnt go to bankruptcy and liquidate assets if it doesnt have to. So, 5000 greedy,low skill workers close a company and force 18500 out of jobs.

Explain to us how this is good and why we should look at unions as a positive thing?
Firstly I'll respond and answer as long as I'm not attacked like I'm personally responsible for the end of civilization since I'm a union electrician. I did this to better myself and support my family, period. I come to this forum cause I own glocks.
Secondly,
Let's look at WHY they went on strike, its the members choice to strike or not. Not only that, if a union strikes, the companies can replace the workers with non-union workers. Back to this later. You said-
'Simply put the money wasnt there to pay them more. A company doesnt go to bankruptcy and liquidate assets if it doesnt have to. So, 5000 greedy,low skill workers close a company and force 18500 out of jobs.'
You said it like they were asking for a raise, if this is what you heard its not true. As you said these are already low skill jobs, as far as money in the pocket, probably not much above minimum wage, but they had decent benefits. Hostess want to cut benefits almost in half, as well as cut in the pocket pay. This has been going on for a WHILE now, this just didn't happen over night. Hostess has filed bankruptcy twice in 8 years, but their top 20 got a ****ing 80% salary increase, up until recently record bonuses also. When they stopped the bonuses, they converted part of the performance based bonuses for the top into salary instead, cause they were performing oh so well with 2 backruptcy's. THIS is why they went on strike, a few months ago the top decided they would bump salaries to where they were previously, so ultimately they made no sacrifice, why should the worker, who ISNT raking in millions? Its the owners right to pay whatever salaries he wants to his top management, but its also the workers right to dis-approve of it and not just take it in the ass.
Should they have striked? I don't know, but put yourself in their shoes, they were probably livid. If it were non-union workers, instead of striking, many would of quit. What would you have done. I don't agree with every thing every union does, I'm not huge on public unions and I know they're not necessary in every industry. I'm in a private union, where the workers and the business owners get along just fine, sometimes even work side by side, as I do with the owner of the contractor I work for. I happen to believe they are a benefit here, obviously so do all the contractors who opened their doors ready to hire our members.
OK, the end for now.

Last edited by di11igaf; 11-16-2012 at 16:32..
di11igaf is offline   Reply With Quote