View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 00:04   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
Like they say, the military is great at training to win the LAST war they fought. The pushup, situp and other standards in the military exist largely (but not exclusively) because they are easy to administer in bulk to large groups of recruits and because 'that's how it has always been done'.

The battlefield has changed a great deal in the last two decades, however. On an ambush-oriented, asymetrical battlefield and with modern weapons, other attibutes like reaction time and hand-eye coordination are (in my opinion) of equal importance, but the military hasn't caught up yet with the fact that it isn't all about who can bench-press the most anymore.

Many women have the grit and courage for the job, and can bring attributes to the field that are of at least equal value to raw strength and stamina. History shows that where women have been employed as infantry, they have served well and I think they deserve a shot at serving in that role.
I'm a very weak swimmer. There's no way I'd ever meet the swim requirements to be a SEAL. Should the standards be lowered or waived?

If I had bad color perception there are some jobs I don't qualify for. Should those requirements be waived?

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote