View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 20:04   #22
PrecisionRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2718 View Post
I'd consider the 130 gr bullet to be the mid weight standard for the .270, and 150 gr the mid weight standard for the .30-06. To achieve the same sectional density as a 130 grain .277 bullet, a .308 bullet needs to reach 165 grains in weight. Even at 165 grains, the 130 grain .277 bullet has a much higher ballistic coefficient.

As someone on here said, the argument is rather academic. Trajectory and impact energy are so similar that the differences don't matter for 99.9% of common application. I currently use a .30-06 and have never fired a .270 Winchester.

I think my question should have been - is there any game the .30-06 can take that the .270 can't? I have a feeling that in North America the differences between the two cartridges are academic.
I think they both are *more* than enough for deer/wild hog sized game, but the 06' clearly gets has the edge when it comes to Elk, Moose, and bear due to the ability to use heavier bullets that are better at punching through heavy bone and continuing to penetrate. If medium sized game is what your after then either one will do a dang fine job, and I'd go with the cartridge that I like the most. Deer are not hard to kill, and I've taken as many with my 243 that I got in my youth as I have with my 308Win. I haven't had a deer go more than a few feet before piling up with either. Put the rounds where they need to go using a properly constructed bullet of a proper weight for the game intended and you'll have meat on the table. All other considerations are camp fire talk unless you also want to punch paper, and that's an entirely different discussion.

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote