View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 15:54   #106
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Again, you think they have the manpower to visit evry single FFL in the nation and get copies of the 4473s and bound books?

Again, showing up to the FFLs to havest the 4473s would require massive manpower. Plus all the time and manpower to go through them. It's not that feasible to scan them, either. The paper used for the forms is crappy, and starts to degrade. Ive seen 18 month old 4473s that were falling apart and completely unreadable due to faded ink and rotting paper.

As for NICS, FL does it all at a state level. Even then, they get your info, and type of firearm. No make, model, serial number, etc. They know if it is a pistol, long arm, or receiver. Same goes for states that use federal NICS. Even if they did ignore federal law (which mandates destruction of the records within 72 hours, as I remember) and keep records, that's still a thin amount of info to go on.
The ATF is already doing this. One local gun store has taken the ATF to court over them demanding complete access to their records. The LGS won in court. It makes me proud to spend my hard earned dollars there but also makes me wonder how many other FFL's have caved in to the ATF and provided records.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/584349/posts

Bob's sued a second time when the ATF demanded all records of third party transfers.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 11-11-2012 at 15:55..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote