View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 11:47   #63
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
going to be doing some whitetail hunting and need to get a good 30-06 load.

i know nothing about what grain or type of bullet for this, im more of a small game type of hunter.

i was told by my hunting buddies to look in the 150-165 grain market with a soft tip bullet, which narrows it down to about 150 different types of bullet / manufacturers...

please advise, links are welcomed...
I've been hunting whitetailed deer in the southeast U.S. for 33 years. Briefly I used a .243 Winchester Model 70. I decided I wanted a little more power/bullet weight so I went to the .30-06 Springfield. I've not used anything else. I have used this round in Ruger and Remington rifles as well as surplus military rifles specifically 1903 and 1903-A3 rifles as well as M-1917 Enfield rifles. I have used this round in M-1 Garand rifles. Results have been superlative.

Whitetail deer are not heavily boned. Even a large buck will seldom weigh more than 200 lbs. in the southeastern United States. I have used bullets in weights from 150 to 180 grains. I've settled on the 150 and just about ideal. I've not ever had a problem with inadequate penetration using a Remington or Winchester 150 gr. .30-06 load. In fact, I've not ever recovered a bullet as it always goes in one side of the deer and out the other side.

The last deer I shot was hit just in front of the left hip. The bullet rakes up through the deer and exited out the right front shoulder. The bullet was a plain Jane Remington 150 gr. Pointed Soft-Point (PSP). The distance was 181 paces using a Smith Corona 1903-A3 rifle with the standard iron sights.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote