View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31   #69
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Would only work once. Yes, it sucks for those 28 folks, but what would happen the next year is that if an employer required someone to move, they'd have to offer in writing that they'll cover the relocation expenses and whatever fees are incurred in breaking a lease if things don't work out.

You can play "what if" forever. I can make up a dozen scenarios where employees screw employers. The fact is that no system is perfect.

Allow employees to quit. Allow employers to fire people. That's the only way to have a truly equal balance of power.

Now, it won't be equal for everyone--the more replaceable the employee (ie, less skill / experience required to do the job) the more likely the employer is to be willing to fire, and vice versa. But that's just the way life works.
To be honest, I really haven't formulated an opinion yet on at-will employment. I see where both sides are coming from.

When I worked at the Pentagon, there was this 400lb guy in a Hoveround always sleeping in the hallways. He usually had a 128 oz soda or bag of Ruffles in his lap too. I asked around to see what his deal was, and apparently he was the head guy in building maintenance. The people I asked also told me that it was almost impossible to get fired being a civilian employee of the DOD at the Pentagon; the only way is if you did something criminally. I could see where at-will employment would have be great in that situation.

I also see how at-will employment could be terrible in some situations.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote