View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 01:44   #150
Toxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
Missed this the first time around.

Ok, here's a classic example of what I'm talking about. You, as a layperson (not meaning that disrespectfully) think a private for profit ambulance is the equivalent of a tax payer funded ambulance. That's understandable but highly inaccurate and I'll explain why.

In the state of SC (where I work) the state has a minimum requirement for ambulance staffing. That minimum requirement is one basic EMT and a driver. A basic EMT has the minimum amount of EMS training required by law to actually be an EMT. They can't provide advanced care like cardiac monitoring and treatment, they can't administer life saving medications, start IV's or pleural decompress. They can basically bandage, ventilate, compress (CPR) and transport. Most private ambulance companies staff their ambulances at the minimum level. They do that because for the vast majority of their calls that's all they need because they turn a profit by transporting people to dialysis, hospital discharge patients and transporting pt's to routine Dr. appointments. Their ambulances are typically stocked only to the basic level. If you have a heart attack and a private ambulance shows up you will receive oxygen and a ride. Sometimes the private companies actually do the right thing and actually call 911 so we can try and intercept them to provide a higher level of care.

Now, my tax payer funded municipal service has an ALS license. That means we have to have paramedics and all the required ALS equipment on our rigs. We have training standards we have to meet that BLS private services don't have to adhere to.

Now, at my tax payer funded service if you have a heart attack and I show up you'll get oxygen, bilateral IV's, cardiac 12 lead monitoring and interpretation and the necessary medicines to keep you alive and minimize ischemic damage to your heart. Most importantly, my tax payer funded equipment allows me to send my ECG findings to the hospital so they can have a cath lab team waiting on us when we roll in and you'll go straight to a cath lab, saving time and heart muscle.
One mistake here:

He's NOT interested in the truth. He has AREADY made up his mind that unions are composed of greedy, useless people. He has ALREADY made up his mind that the paid F/R unit is of NO use. You cannot change his mind - there is no point for discussion. He's just running his mouth to gather some moral justification. Three sides to every story - His side, the union's side and then the truth. He is WAY too emotionally involved to have any kind of credible objective viewpoint here.

I would say that he is probably more then a little red-assed that he can't play Fire Fighter anymore.
Toxie is offline   Reply With Quote