View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 18:30   #48
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Okay, to put this to an end... I took out both my M640-1 and my M642-5 or whatever it is... and measured the ejectors with my unscientific measuring tape.

The visible portion of the magnum ejector measure 24mm and th+e non-magnum measures 16mm, for a difference of 50% or 8mm... which roughly translates to about less than 1/3" which sort of correlates to the barrel length difference of 1/4" due to the longer cut out of the full underlug barrel.

Then there is the difference in length of the cylinder to accommodate the magnum cartridges, which in itself would necessitate a longer ejector to clear the cases out.

When engaged, the magnum pushes the cases out 25mm past the end of the cylinder while the non magnum pushes the cases out 17mm beyond the cylinder, according to my non-scientific measuring tape.

So now the question is when cases bulge, would that extra 8mm make any difference in clearing the malfunction?

In my years of shooting all my J-frames, I have never experienced any malfunctions and my cases have all ejected just fine when I plunge the ejector with my left or right hand.
Sure, so in a roundabout way you confirmed that the sight radius is .25" longer plus the length of the slightly longer frame (to house the longer cylinder), and the ejector rod is indeed longer allowing the 38 special case to be pushed farther out of the cylinder.

Besides, I don't think you will ever have a revolver case bulge without having had a KB, maybe sticky extraction, but still the longer ejector rod would be of benefit if there was sticky extraction.

The OP asked for opinions, and I provided mine which were on par with yours aside from going with a .357 for the reasons you confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote