View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 19:22   #33
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
If you are set on a five shot revolver, I saw get a .357. There are a couple reasons, and none of them are so you can torture yourself. Most 38 special, and 357 magnum loads were designed with 4" barrels in mind. There are some exceptions, but IMHO, only hits count, and pounding recoil and muzzle flash is not conducive to accuracy.

1.The .357 snubbies have a slightly longer barrel, which gives a better sight radius.

ACCORDING TO SMITH & WESSON, THE 640-1 HAS A 2-1/8" BARREL WHILE THE AIRWEIGHT 642/442 HAS A 1-7/8" BARREL, FOR A GRAND DIFFERENCE OF 1/4" OF BARREL.

2.They have a longer ejector rod... lets you clear empty (38 special) cases easier. I used to have to shoot a 60 round course of fire with mine.

I'LL MEASURE BOTH OF MINE, I GOT BOTH J FRAMES, TO SEE HOW LONG OF A DIFFERENCE IS THERE IN THE EJECTOR RODS, BUT IF YOU USE THE RIGHT TECHNIQUE OF SWITCHING HANDS, TILTING THE BARREL UPWARD, AND USING YOUR HAND TO FULLY AND FORCEFULLY PLUNGE THE EJECTOR, YOU SHOULD CLEAR ALMOST EVERYTHING, EXCEPT FOR THE BULGED CASES WHICH WOULDN'T BUDGE WHETHER YOU HAVE A LONG OR SHORT EJECTOR ROD.

3. There's flexibility to shoot two different calibers.

DEPENDS ON IF YOU ARE INTENT ON ACTUALLY USING ANY MAGNUM ROUNDS. OUR DUTY AUTHORIZED MAGNUM ROUND IS WAY TOO HARSH IN THE J FRAMES SO THE FLEXIBILITY MAKES NO DIFFERENCE FOR WORK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
Thanks for all of the info.

I located a 442 in stock with no internal lock for $419.00 (total $449.48 with tax) officer price. Does this seem on par with the rest of you?
Sometimes you find the 442 under $400 but with our taxes and fees, it's all the same or within a small amount that it's not worth the hunt nor the drive. Also, the FFL's here that do out of state transfers charge a lot of money for accepting the transfer, which can be $50 to $100 per gun and most of them lean toward the high end so any savings buying online is negated by the transfer fees... unless you are buying a M1A worth about 2G's.

Last edited by lawman800; 10-26-2012 at 19:23..
lawman800 is online now   Reply With Quote