Originally Posted by eagle359
I live right outside of New Orleans. Come on down. Before you buy here check out Houston or Katy TX. Stayed in that area after Katrina and loved it.
I have distant relatives in Houston.. it's on my list to look in to.
Originally Posted by tantrix
1) Cost of living - Almost non-existent unless you want to live right in the center of a city.
2) Friendly to outsiders - As friendly as anywhere else I'd suppose...as long as you don't have something like a Boston accent, you'll be fine.
3) Taxes - Not bad at all. In line with the pay scale here so I can't complain.
4) Best kept secrets - Nothing is a secret here...but I'd say the food will pretty much hook you for life.
5) Gun laws - Almost none. Shall-issue. Open carry. Any number of firearms, anywhere in the vehicle, loaded or unloaded, with no permit required.
We also have a strong castle doctrine which means if anybody forces entry into your home, feel free to make some extra breathing holes in their chest.
Oh, and I'll have to mention the food one more time.
SOLD! Sounds amazing.
*Vehicular long guns would be a new freedom for me!
Originally Posted by frizz
The Florida panhandle and the southern tip of Alabama (Gulf Shores/Orange Beach) are worth a look. WARNING: There are a lot of liberals in Baldwin county, but Alabama has a local-firearm-law preemption law.
Loved orange beach when I was there this spring, but spent most of my day there on the beach fishing so I didn't see any of the surrounding area.