View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09   #25
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADOS View Post
Well, I guess it's time to speak my piece and it won't be pretty.

There will not be any change in the second amendment if Obama is re elected. That being said, if I remember correctly, the second amendment came about while muskets were fashionable. It's time to reassess the law. Our average citizens don't need assault rifles with 100 round drum magazines and you don't need an AK47 to go hunting. These weapons are dangerous in the hands of other than Military or Police. Also, for those people who think a revolutions is coming, I want what your'e drinking.
Your argument isn't really logical. Looking at 1789, the military also used muskets. The purpose of the second amendment was, in its clearest terms, to allow the citizens to act as a military force. It logically follows from your argument that the arms protected by the second amendment would evolve just as the technology of the arms used by the military evolved, given that the founders were obviously aware that technology improves and changes over time. So if you want to go the "they had muskest in 1789" route, the conclusion of the argument is that all weapons, or at least all individual weapons - full auto, grenade launchers, etc., are a constitutionally protected right. You have accomplished no more than a demonstration of the clearest intellectual dishonesty.

Last edited by Bren; 10-16-2012 at 12:11..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote