View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 20:01   #242
dherloc
X-Nuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
Well I can to a degree see your point, but if I'm not there to recieve any of the benefits, I'm just paying for the passport.
I dont mind paying for that passport, but to be honest to a degree I see it almost as an entrance fee to get back in the country.
It does bug me to deal with the things I have to deal with and to pay and pay and then to stand in a line and see someone pull out that card and get their stuff for free.
I was raised in a very lower middle class Family where we were told if we work hard and save our money we will get ahead. Yeah you will get ahead and you will carry how many folks on your back as you do it?
Sort of standing at the fence on this one...not on the other side though...yet.

I have two friends that I worked with over the years that work mainly out of country. They come back every few months for a week or so to visit family, then go back. I would think ALL of their money is earned overseas. But, their families do still live here. So in their case, I would think that they should be taxed.

Lets say you are single with zero ties. That would be a better argument for keeping all (most?) of it.

But of course, there are lots of instances over the last few decades where the situation has turned south in a hurry for those working overseas. In that case, do you 'send in the Marines' to get a person out? My grandfather missed being caught up in the overthrow of the Shah by a month. He was working for Bell in Iran at the time and given a slightly different set of circumstances, could have ended up needing government intervention to bail him out. That intervention did not work out well in that case, but there are many others where it did. Those were tax dollars at work.

Like I said...pretty close to being on the fence with this one. Makes for an interesting discussion doesn't it.
dherloc is offline   Reply With Quote