View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 15:11   #232
Panglоss
I am the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Is the GI Bill an entitlement?

Well DUH of course it is - but don't believe me - ask the VA.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/p...0_pamphlet.pdf

Go ALL THE way down to page 3 under the heading

"ELIGIBILITY and ENTITLEMENT"

These sections may also show some interest --

HOW DO WE CHARGE ENTITLEMENT?......... 20
CAN WE EXTEND YOUR ENTITLEMENT?...... 21
CAN WE RESTORE YOUR ENTITLEMENT IF
YOU HAVE TO DROP OUT OF SCHOOL?....... 21
I hope you are not serious.

This is a simple case of a word taking on a different meaning in a different context.

When you serve in the military you are 'entitled' to GI Bill benefits, which are a benefit of your employment. Thus the use of the word 'entitlement'.

You are not 'entitled' to a free phone, free food, or free housing, simply because you were born and exist in this country. These are the type of 'entitlements' (we could call them unearned entitlements) that are controversial.

If the GI Bill is an entitlement, then so is any other benefit or, more specifically, form of compensation, provided by one's employer; sick days, vacation days, health and dental, etc., are all entitlements, right? In fact, by the same line of reasoning, one's wage or salary would also become an entitlement.

These argumentum ad nauseam posts about semantics are really growing old.

There's a huge difference between something that you are IN FACT entitled to because you earned it, and something that you BELIEVE you are entitled to simply because you exist and because you THINK you are entitled to receive it for free.

Context.

Last edited by Panglоss; 10-15-2012 at 15:13..
Panglоss is offline   Reply With Quote