Thread: Win Primers
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 15:27   #5
CaptainXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciolist View Post
Similar situation here. I ventured into Winchesters as a substitute for Federals. Yes, the cups are heavier, and the Q/C is not as good as with Federals. The Winchesters are also not 100% reliable with an OEM striker and #4 spring.

I wanted to see what would be needed to get them up to match reliability without sacrificing my trigger weight. So far (only ~2K rounds fired) they are 100% with a Jager striker and #4 spring. Federals always ignite with the OE striker, because their cups are so thin, but this leads to striker tip damage when the cups rupture. I would never have noticed this had I not been looking at striker tips under magnification for other reasons.

My hope is that the Winchester/Jager combo will ultimately prove to be a better overall setup, but will need to get more Winchesters fired before I have complete faith in them with the light striker spring.

Since starting with the Winchesters, Iíve loaded maybe 5K of them, and have seen 4 or 5 that were too deformed to seat. They also donít run as smoothly through the Dillon tubes or press as the Federals. But they donít rupture on striker contact. Overall, I like them so far.
I loaded 90 rounds and fired them thru a G34 with LW skeletonized striker & #4 striker spring. Had no ignition problems or any other type of problems with the Win primers. The only problem is with seating them when loading.

I'll go ahead and use the Win primers up (only bought 1K) then will switch back to Fed primers. The only reason I bought the Win primers was because PV was out of Fed's when I placed my last order. Still have about 4K of Fed primers. Hopefully PV will have Fed primers back in stock by the time I place my next order with them.