View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 22:13   #24
brokenprism

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
I was just looking at it from an end game perspective. I would think christisans and the christian god would consider the saving of souls more important than anything else.
Believing that how the message is delivered doesn't matter, is not realistic.

1) Saving souls is the highest priority.
2) Some methods will cause people to not be saved.
If it was my responsibility I would be looking into this. I would think my boss would be unhappy with me doing a bad job when I know I could do a better job.
Frank,

I wanted to address this as succinctly as possible. Yes, a saved soul is the highest priority -- it certainly is the highest priority of the soul saved. We're told that angels rejoice when a soul is saved. It's a big deal.

In Acts, we're told that on the day of Pentecost "as many as were appointed to eternal life, believed." God prepares those He chooses to save by regenerating them -- He brings them back to spiritual life -- they are born again. A person that was formerly indisposed to respond to teh gospel is suddenly disposed. The Bible, which was a gibberish bookj to him befoire, is suddenly clear. The God he resisted before, he suddenly loves. This is a side note, but regeneration precedes -- it does not follow -- the exercise of the faith they are given, and promptly return, to the justification (the saving) of their souls.

The parable of the sower gives us insight into the process. Some seed fell on hard ground, and did not take root. Some seed fell among thorns and was choked out. But some seed fell on 'good ground'. We're told the 'good ground' yields a great harvest. This is a farming metaphor. Farmers don't just toss seed out and hope a crop grows -- they prepare the soil. They dig up the rocks, pull the weeds, fertilize, etc. I mention this because it applies to preaching and salvation. Jesus says the seed in this parable is the Word of God. You need a prepared heart (a regenerated heart) and the Word of God. When it is preached -- ideally with some law and some gospel -- the person appointed to salvation on that day at that time, "chosen from before the foundation of the world," responds, believes, and is saved. Forever.

So the method matters less than you think. Hell fire or God is love, as long as the real Christ is preached, the regenerated person will respond and believe. I don't favor threats of judgment when I share the gospel, but I don't make Jesus into someone desperate for friends either. He is the King of Kings. He does us the favor -- not the other way around. It is a mistake to try to be 'relevant' to the culture in evangelism. Having muscle guys tear phone books in half to appeal to 10 yr old boys; having loud bands mimicing the popular culture to attract young adults; all this is unnecessary, and sometimes embarrassing. It's possible to make converts to a movement -- people not appointed to eternal life, who will follow your group because they have a need to belong.

The Word of God has been saving predestinated souls through the life-giving Spirit of God for thousands of years, and it doesn't need help.
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote