View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 17:08   #143
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
When you are hunting, you are already carrying a weapon.
And when I have a pistol with me, I have a backup! Unless I'm hunting WITH a pistol.

Quote:
You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot
Idiots think you don't ever need a backup.

Quote:
Been hunting much?
Every year.

Quote:
You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot you have been in and out of the area 30 times before scouting and setting up.
What kind of guarantee that what you've scouted in the past won't have different conditions the day you arrive? I know guys that have been treed by feral dog packs and had to take care of business.

Some states, not mine but some, have ammo limits for what can be in your hunting weapon.

Quote:
I've hunted all over the country thanks to moving all over. Every place I have ever hunted and the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back if you packed a pistol to head into the woods.
Only if they're anti gun. Most guys I know think youre a fool if you don't keep proper protection on you. Meth labs, finishing shots, feral dogs, other wild animals and coyotes are just a few of the hazards.

Pro gun guys don't laugh at others carrying weapons.

Quote:
(i admit to not hunting Alaska yet) maybe that is just me and my almost 50 years hunting. But that is the way I see it.
In AK, a large frame double action revolver .44mag and up is known as a "rolling around on the ground" gun in case you get tackled by a bear, you're already likely wounded but its your last chance. More than few stories have come back where it made the difference in life and death. Pretty much the same thing for MT, WY, ID, WA CO and UT.

An old friend in Oregon told the story of his dentist who used to fish annually in the UP of Michigan. A long gun would not have helped him any when he got blindsided by a blackie and went for his .357. He survived, barely but was badly wounded and now only takes a .44mag loaded with hardcast.

Quote:
But during season? Never.
Suit yourself. No skin off my back.