View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26   #84
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
....... The rub marks on the EDP has been noticed and discussed in other threads. I don't know if there is a consensus on this (what causes it and what it does), but I have my opinion. It happened to mine also. I noticed it after JSB pointed it out in another thread. My gun had about 500 rounds on it at that point. I can't say when it would have become visible had I been watching for it. I attribute this wear to a sharp edge on the front of the extractor assembly channel in the slide and the hardness of the slide. In my gun the original EDP is a loose enough fit in the channel that I would rule out binding.

JSB said that he has seen guns in his shop that had wear in this location that would almost surely impede steady tension on the extractor. I think that might be one small piece of the puzzle of why extraction/ejection can go bad on these guns after X number of rounds.
Well, there IS an alternative explanation!

I am positive that the EDP rod is NOT striking (or, 'nesting') up against the exact same place on the back of the extractor every time. I think, but I cannot prove, that the extractor's, 'pivot pin' and the hole in the slide it rides in are also involved. Furthermore I believe the excessive vertical, 'slop' between the slide cutout, and the extractor's top and bottom, 'flats' has something to do with all of this.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote