Thread: Why the hate?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 22:18   #53
M24C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWE View Post
Thanks all, I appreciate it.

In looking at data for starting to load .40, I notice a few loads that have the same narrow load range. But Longshot spans 1.5 grains! Of the 145 powders rated, most mentioned regularly here and elsewhere for 9mm and 40 are in the top third to half in burn rate. Smoking lead? Hmmm... used something else for all those SWC in .38... Will def. consider that even though most of my shooting is outdoors.

I have been reloading shotshell, rifle, and revolver for... a long time. Picked up loading pistol in the past few years. Have used a couple powders and want to streamline, buy fewer and larger size containers.

I find TG clean actually, and accurate. Must be burning it all up at 4.1 grains in 9mm and .38. Maybe I am just doing it wrong.

Looking to start on 165 or 180 grain .40 and - I don't get married to this stuff but am a believer in "if it aint broke..." That said, open to options for "better" and "why" if you don't mind. What else would work for .38, 9mm, and .40?

Thanks again!
Never used TG, but the burn rate is similar to Bullseye which I've used with the 40. Most loads will be light. Meaning they would not emulate Self defense loads. Especially 165 grain to get them around where most of the SD loads velocity would be around 1160 fps. Can't get that with BE or TG. Need a slower powder. The best for the 40 to higher velocities I've used is Longshot, power pistol, Universal, WSF and AA #7. If shooting lead don't smoke like if I shoot BE with lead. The 40 seems to like medium burning rates. I like the WSF, Universal and AA#7 for the lower flash. If I want the highest velocities I would use Longshot. HTH
40 Club number #164
M24C is online now   Reply With Quote