View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 20:09   #58
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
The above statements demonstrate your inability, or unwillingness, to understand the position I've tried to explain as my approach to risk evaluation. But thats ok, because your understanding, or lack thereof, matters not to me. I'm just participating in a friendly discussion about the OP's query.

I fully realize that some folks face real danger every day from people who may do them harm. If I was a prosecuting attorney, a law enforcement officer or a judge, I would carry all the time. If I had a relative, a neighbor or a drug dealer who was after my hide, I'd always want a gun within reach. If I lived in or near a moderate or high-crime area, carrying all the time would be necessary. Living in a rural area far from law enforcement might be good reason.

Many people who don't face discernible risks as described above carry all the time anyway because of other motivators. I'm thinkin' some do it in order to feel powerful. Some may do it because it fulfills some missing aspect of their identity or it boosts their self image. Others do it to demonstrate their commitment to protect loved ones. Some simply love guns while others want to project a 'bad ass' image. Obviously there are many other reasons not justified by real danger (risk).

While many people play the self-defense game based on imperceptible risk, they ignore real, deadly risks to themselves and loved ones presented in every day life. Consider the following:

1. Use of tobacco in all forms.
2. Excessive consumption of alcohol.
3. Being overweight.
4. Texting and sending/receiving calls while operating a vehicle.
5. Driving after consuming alcohol.
6. Operating a motorcycle.
7. Not getting periodic physical examinations.
8. Not getting colonoscopies as recommended.
9. Ignoring signs of health issues.
10. Not monitoring blood pressure.

Each high risk behavior in this small sample is far more likely to kill the participant than an assault on the streets or in one's home. Yet many among us ignore them while fixating every day over self defense weapons and tactics.

I'm just offering my humble opinion to stand along side glock2740's scholarly (or is it sarcastic?) point of view. As you can see, his view of the world is a bit different than mine.
First off, my post was not directed at you. So don't try and call me out with one of the dumbest posts I can remember seeing on here or anywhere else, as far as that goes, in a long long time. You do your thing and I'll do mine. I don't give a rats ass if you carry or don't. But leave me out of your silly posts.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote