Thread: US made 416?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:35   #10
Kimura

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Who else would like to have one? HK's MR 556 is a great gun but is lacking in a lot of ways. One big deal breaker for me was the absence of a chrome lined barrel!

Seriously HK, WTF?

Then there is no nitriding on the parts... Again, WTF?

Then there is the funky stock. I can deal with that since it's easily changed but come on HK, your HK, you can do better than that.

I'd much prefer if they would just produce something much more similar to the 416 in it's original configuration as is possible by law.

Do this HK, and I'll buy two!
As Woodenplank said, the uppers are out there, you just have to be willing to pay the price for one and be patient about finding one because they don't often show up for sale. And the upper is really what you're looking for as you can use an AR lower with it. So, it's more of a pricing issue. Are you willing to pay market price for one?

I've said in the past that it's the best piston AR out there; however, for most people, LWRC will work just as well for a lot less money. For that matter, for most a Daniel Defense, Colt, BCM rifle will work just fine for their needs. If you just want an HK416, that's perfectly acceptable, but there's a cost for that. HK sells plenty of them to militaries and LEAs around the world. Selling a couple here and there on the civilian market isn't a big deal for them. Because let's be honest, while a lot of people say they want one, for what they would cost, most wouldn't ever buy one. The MR556 is $2500.00. The 416 price would be more than that. And it doesn't matter whether or not it costs them more to produce it, they know that if someone really wants one, they'll pay the price for it. I doubt they sell many MR556s, much less something more expensive.

HK is a company that has always relied on military and LEA contracts for the bulk of their business. The public has been secondary for them. That's their business model and while people criticize them for it, it works for them. It's a choice. They would rather provide weapons to the military. In return, as a private citizen, if you're willing to pay the price, you get weapons that are built to the highest standard and thoroughly tested before release. Is that important? That's up to you.
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote