View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11   #8
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Polymer AR lowers are problems in waiting. I have seen far too many that cracked, usually around the takedown pins or the threads for the buffer tube.

Sounds like internet logic to me, i.e,. "saw it or heard about it on the internet so therefore it must be true."

Yes, Glocks are made of polymer, but their design incorporated that from the beginning, and they still use metal reinforcement in many places. Very few (if any) AR lowers use such reinforcements, and the AR platform was designed for metal receivers.

And if the right polymers were available when the AR was developed it would likely have been made from them back then. In the near future, all ARs will be plastic.

Yes, plenty of people here will rush to defend them. When you can get aluminum, made to spec lowers for $20-50 more, though, why would you buy the inferior material? That extra $50 (worst case) is less than 10% of the cost of a half-decent AR build, yet it is for the serial numbered component and one of the more critical bts of the rifle.

On the other hand, if you want a polymer AR lower just go buy one. I have several Cav Arms lowers and they have held up well to extended use. Not exactly the same thing but they are plastic.

My response in red above

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote