View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:49   #69
INJoker
Simply Charming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
The market compensates it at a higher rate. The market deems it more valuable.

As for trying to tie the learning of those skills starting with teachers....nah, I am not falling for that. That is a poor argument. Using your logic, the teacher is more valuable than the skill...which is not true. The skill is more valuable than the teacher. Using your logic, the elementary teacher should make more than the high school teacher, and the high school teacher should make more than the college Prof....because without the first, a person would not be able to go on to the next....but it works the exact opposite way.

You simply dont understand value. For a biting remark, the MBA would, the teacher, probably not.
We've already established that there are outside factors that affect teacher compensation. It's ludicrous to say that pure market forces are at work in public education. "The market" hasn't deemed anything. If education truly paid a fair wage, why would anyone ever leave? Why would 50% of teachers leave the classroom within 5 years?

If people do not need basic math, reading or other skills related to the learning process itself, why do we even have teachers then? To reverse your logic, you would expect people to be able to analyze macroeconomic trend data, develop financial forecasts and conduct market research without mastery of underlying, fundamental skills required to do so?

I don't believe that any "phase" of education is inherently more valuable than any other, but my experiences have taught me that being surrounded by a team with true mastery of basic concepts will get you much further than surrounding yourself with people who have lofty, visionary goals with no ability to execute on them.

Your "biting" remark doesn't offend me in the least because it is patently false. The amount of profit (read: not simply revenue) that I've generated for my employers over the past few years would not have been possible without a fundamental grasp of such concepts.

I'm not going to get into a willy-measuring contest on the internet over whether or not I understand value, because value is one of the most subjective topics we could possibly discuss.

For example, I value a proper primary and secondary education at a greater rate than you because I've seen it's ability to create further value down the chain. I fully credit my education and the wonderful teachers and mentors I've had for getting me to where I'm at right now. I learned more from my teachers and professors than I've learned from any manager I've worked for.

That's my bias. That's why I value teachers over MBAs.

I grew up in a blue-collar home with high school educated parents. I wasn't given anything but a strong work ethic and constant encouragement to study hard and make something of myself.