View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33   #66
INJoker
Simply Charming

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Do you know anyone who thinks they are fairly evaluated?

I'm in sales. My success is largely measured by a simple set of numbers. Those numbers represent only a fraction of what I do every day for my employer. I have a supervisor who lives 800 miles away who will see me 4x yearly. What do you think the chances are that I'll be evaluated fairly?

I'm asked to work evenings, occasional weekends. I'm asked to do things that aren't directly in my job description. No additional compensation though, yes, I make a considerable amount more than a teacher.

My point being that everyone has their burdens. IMO, teachers do an inordinate amount of complaining about theirs.
I'm in sales as well, in some of the most cost-competitive markets on earth.

Before I did this, I was in sales in one of the most competitive industries in North America.

We have the luxury of having an objective standard of measurement - our numbers. We have the luxury of being left to our own devices as to how we achieve those numbers.

Teachers do not.

Teachers cannot 80/20 their customers and "fire" the bad ones. Teachers cannot spend the majority of their time developing their "best" accounts - in fact, they have to spend most of their time trying to bring their laggards up to speed. Teachers have to follow very tightly scripted lesson plan templates in the classroom and meet very specific learning objectives - can you imagine if you had to use a script on every single sales call? Would you be as effective? Teachers cannot work harder or put in more hours to generate better results. They are on a limited schedule...

I could go on and on and on... Yes, everyone has their cross to bear and everyone has things they can complain about in their job - including evaluations.

But the simple fact of the matter is that evaluating teachers is much more subjective than evaluating a salesman.