View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:59   #11
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Believers and atheists are never going to understand each other.

The concept of faith is the biggest obstacle between the two groups. Faith is everything to a believer, while the atheist, who demands proof, has little or no understanding of faith.
The concept of faith is really not the obstacle given that most non-believers (at least in this forum) were once very faithful, but they realized at some point that religion was an empty proposition. I understand faith, however I do not find believing something despite a lack of supporting evidence, and often in the face of contrary evidence, to be a virtue.

Quote:
Believers recognize a higher power based on faith, while atheists believe that they are the top of the food chain and answer to no one. Especially a concept that doesn't meet their own personal standards.
Humans are reasonably well adapted to the environment that they live in, but so are many other species. We're not the fastest or most ferocious, we don't have the best sense of hearing, smell or sight. We're not very good swimmers, we can't fly, and we don't have echolocation -- I think that would be a cool one -- etc. Though we have obvious advantages in brain power, use of tools, control over our environment, etc. Regarding top of the food chain, I personally don't eat animal-based foods.

Quote:
Believers accept the laws of God and voluntarily submit to them, while atheists don't want limitations placed on their behavior.

Believers are willing to accept the judgement of God, while atheists refuse to be judged by anyone.
Again not the case. I certainly submit to judgment of the society that I live in.

My morality has nothing to do with not wanting limitations placed on my behavior. If it weren't for my being an atheist, I would be a poster child for Christian behavior. I've been faithfully married to my high school sweetheart for 23 years. I don't cheat on my taxes, steal, murder, ... All this, without believing that Eternal Torment or Eternal Reward await me.

Oh, and I even strive to remain respectful in this forum.

regards,
-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote