View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:28   #9
bobtheelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
Seems there are alot of you atheists here. So instead of fighting with you I would like you to list your reasons and arguments for why there is no god. I've argued with you recently, now here's your chance to "educate" us poor intellectually inferior Christians. Explain everything!!! Every reason you have not to believe. Believe it or not I'm actually interested in your thoughts.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I would consider myself an atheist with the willingness to accept that there may be some greater power we cannot observe or understand. Maybe agnostic would be a better term.

Here's my thoughts:

God is not required for anything. Not for the beginning of our universe, not for the end, not for anything in the middle. While people have trouble believing that evolution and chance could result in intelligent beings like ourselves, when taken from the entire pool of ~10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe over the course of 15,000,000,000 years, it's actually a near statistical certainty that intelligent life would evolve based on random occurrences. We just happen to be the ones asking the questions because we got lucky on our planet.

Another thought: Throughout human history, there have been countless different gods and deities, many of them vastly different from one another. Why is one more correct than any other(s), when the evidence for any of them is the same?

Muslims think Christians and Jews are wrong because they don't accept Muhammad as a prophet of god, despite the concrete proof in the Koran. Christians reject the Koran and think Jews are wrong for not accepting Jesus as their savior and the son of god despite the concrete proof in the New Testament. Jews reject the Koran and the New Testament and are still waiting for their savior. Mormons have their own second gospel as well. All of these groups worship the exact same god of Abraham, with the exact same evidence for their own additions to that theology.

Of course each group of believers will think their own version is correct, and the rest wrong, but what reason do they actually have for that belief, except that it was what they were taught?

Finally, when examined in a historical and sociological context, it's pretty clear that religion was structured for control, not spirituality. It's a somewhat cynical view, but no less accurate.

Consider the prohibition on premarital sex and adultery: It was rare in any religion until about 10,000 years ago. Not coincidentally, about that same time human society moved from one of hunter-gatherers, who had precious little in the way of permanent possessions, to one of agriculture and animal husbandry, at which point we now had permanent homes, land, and other ownership of property - and inheritance.

It's only natural then, that those with the land and power would want to ensure that only their own offspring inherited their property when they died. What better way to do that than to prohibit premarital sex and adultery?

Similarly, the prohibition on pork in many religions stems from the fact that poor sanitary practices and insufficient cooking of pork can lead to severe illness. Considering the lack of knowledge of bacteria and parasites by ancient civilizations, it's no wonder people would just not eat pork, which would naturally morph from a habit, to a way of life, to a divine command.

Finally, consider how often established religion and its tenets turn out to be wrong. Starting well before Christianity, with the polytheistic religions of Egypt, the Maya, etc. Moving on to the church's belief regarding how old the universe is, then the Earth being the center of the universe, the Earth being flat, etc. Eventually science wins out.

That all being said, the fundamental rock of science is "I don't know", and the quest to find out. To be entirely closed to the possibility that a power greater than us that we cannot comprehend exists is to abandon the foundations of science. But until there's evidence beyond a book two thousand years old, written by man, translated by man, interpreted by man, I will remain skeptical.
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote