View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:58   #7
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
You're misunderstanding my intentions. I really do want to see you make your case.
The argument, in its simplest form, is that we see no reason to resort to a totally unsupported mythos system to explain natural phenomenon that are equally explainable by other well understood mechanisms. Occam's Razor in it's purest form, why believe the extraordinary claim that a deity created and is controlling everything when the ordinary principles of physics and biology can explain everything equally well (in fact much better)?

Quote:
By only stating your reasons atheists don't want to follow religion your not converting anyone. Maybe if you gave irrefutable evidence you could change minds.
First off, there is no such thing as "irrefutable evidence". It doesn't matter how compelling, complete or thorough the supporting evidence is, someone can (and will) refute it (but not necessarily with valid reason). The only real option is to be comparitive in your analysis. What is more likely, that an omniscient, omnipotent, eternal, immanent and transcendent deity created the entirety of the universe such that he can care for some frail beings crawling on the surface of one particular insignificant planet (and then condemn most of them to destruction) or that we came about by very explainable physical processes?

That said, there have been figurative mountains of empirical evidence posted here supporting a cosomological Big Bang model of the universe and an evolutionary biology model for the development of life. No matter how compelling, it is continually refuted by theists without even the slightest attempt to challenge the evidence on its merits. It is quite common, in fact, to have individuals here claim that absolutely no evidence exists in the very same thread where the evidence was presented.

So, perhaps you are joining this debate at a frustration induced lull. I was serious about running a search on previous threads. There is a wealth of material here if one cares to go digging for it. Take a look at my "What caused the Big Bang?" thread for a start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-05-2012 at 09:22..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote