View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 23:01   #9
devildog2067

So when I saw this thread, I thought to myself: I think I saw this on GT before, and I think I remember posting a fact-checking-type reply to this chain email. I wonder if I can find that response, it'll save me the trouble of typing it up again.

So I googled a bit, and found the old thread. It's the same chain email, and it was posted by the same guy.

Dude, you posted this thread before.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399081

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 Originally posted on 2/2/2012 View Post
Interesting WW II Trivia:

You might enjoy this from Col D. G. Swinford, USMC, Ret and history buff. You would really have to dig deep to get this kind of ringside seat to history:

1. The first German serviceman killed in WW II was killed by the Japanese ( China , 1937), the first American serviceman killed was killed by the Russians (Finland 1940); highest ranking American killed was Lt Gen Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air Corps. So much for allies and “friendly fire”.
And in THAT thread, someone pointed out that many of these are inaccurate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauptmann6 View Post
A few problems.
1. Lesley McNair was the same rank as Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr. when they were killed. Buckner was killed by shrapnel from a Japanese artillery round.

3. The 45th division changed its patch in 39.

6. No tracers was a personal preference. Some had better luck with no tracers, others didn't. Anyway, long range shooting when the ballistic differences mattered was a waste of ammo anyway.

8. Not worth the effort? in 44 fighters were needed more than bombers. And it had some serious flaws that made it not real workable as an operational aircraft.

Those are just off the top of my head. As usual, a grain of truth mixed with BS

Last edited by devildog2067; 10-04-2012 at 23:02..
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote