View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 15:28   #34
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Not requirements but they have their reasons for teaching those techniques. Why would you pay someone to teach you something and then ignore their approach and do it your own way.
I beg to differ. Unless you're a cherry and don't know squat from diddly, you should take everything at face value. I've never taken Vicker's class but I've taken enough classes to see the preferences in techniques from many a well qualified instructors. They all think they're "right". However, I'd prefer to distill what I've learned across the board and pick out the best practices for my own application instead of swallowing the Kool-Aid from one school or another.

Quote:
When I went to Gunsite and took the pistol course over 20 years ago there were a couple of guys in our course that were big time IPSC shooters--real gamers. Had some attitude and thought they were going to show us all how it was done. For the first few days they really resisted the instruction and insisted on doing things their way and by the third day they began to realize there was a method to the progressive nature of the training and what it was intended to produce at the end of the week. The instructors were clearly frustrated with those students. They found themselves struggling to catch up with the folks who were doing it by the numbers and by the time we got to the Fun House and Donga live fire drills they underperformed relative to the est of the class.
That's because these people were trained as gamers then tried to apply the technique to fighting/self-defense which was and is the essence of Gunsite classes.