View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:42   #16
hamster
NRA Life Member

I have a two year old son and have been carrying since shortly after I found out my wife was pregnant. Before I even bought my first pistol, I bought two pistol safes. My CCW is either in a very substantial holster bolted to my belt or locked in the safe.

When at home I usually lock my pistol up. If I don't have it locked it is because I'm getting ready to go out... in which case it is concealed anyway so my son rarely would even see it.

I carry in hard kydex holsters that have a fairly still pull required to unholster the pistol. (Think Raven concealment). There is no way he would be able to get to my pistol without me knowing about it and stopping him first.

One tip though: Whenever the weapon isn't holstered or locked, I make sure my son isn't in the same room with me and I actually lock him out of the room while holstering.

Re-holstering is one of the most dangerous moments where a negligent discharge is most likely. I want to be sure that there is no chance that my son could be close by should such a situation occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk88 View Post
So I just received my CCW permit and I'm eager to carry and take defensive pistol classes. Mine and my wife's concern is our 2 year old son. He's very curious and if he feels things in my pocket he's digging for it. The thing is that he's the reason I feel I want to carry. I never want to be in a position to where I can't protect my family. I've started to see the world in a different light due recent events and my love for my family. I realize that there are bad people in the world and the can surface any where at any time. I want to carry concealed, but worry about my son being curious and is too young to understand. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote