View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52   #8
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey83 View Post
A responsible gun owner should do research on ANY weapon platform before they take it out for the first time. I just don't understand why every time someone says "I'm getting an AR" it immediately comes up that they need to take a course. I mean if someone says "I'm getting a Glock" everyone doesn't jump in and suggest they take a course.

I don't want to be taken out of context. I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with them. I am all for advancing your knowledge and proficiency in a hobby we all love. I just don't think it's a requirement before owning a rifle.

Now if it is your very first firearm in general. I would suggest taking a basic safety and handling class.
Not all firearms are the same. A responsible firearm owner knows how to properly operate his/her firearms proficiently. It is the safest path.

Safety classes don't cover everything needed. Improper fundamentals can cause injury. The 7 fundamentals are not taught in safety classes. I watched 3 men bleed Sat. because they did not apply proper fundamentals. They were following all safety rules though.

I think we need to understand something before telling a new person it isn't needed.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote