View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46   #13
Trey83

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
You don't have to want to be an "operator" or a Costa wanna-be to realize that taking even a basic carbine class (or suggesting someone else do the same) will go a LONG way to helping someone new to the weapon platform understand how to make that weapon run. I've seen plenty of newbies with jammed up ARs on ranges that were clueless on how to correct the problem. In some cases, that cluelessness led to unsafe situations and potential injury.
A responsible gun owner should do research on ANY weapon platform before they take it out for the first time. I just don't understand why every time someone says "I'm getting an AR" it immediately comes up that they need to take a course. I mean if someone says "I'm getting a Glock" everyone doesn't jump in and suggest they take a course.

I don't want to be taken out of context. I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with them. I am all for advancing your knowledge and proficiency in a hobby we all love. I just don't think it's a requirement before owning a rifle.

Now if it is your very first firearm in general. I would suggest taking a basic safety and handling class.