View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 07:30   #11
randr1979

furthermore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexaDoig View Post
ok so going by your reasoning, lets up the ante. how about 1M per pistol, 2M per rifle. and only for people with at least a Master's Degree. and must own at least one car, at least one house, and at least 15M in assets. smart people won't use the gun for a crime, right?

how does it feel if you're excluded?

nope it doesn't work that way. you're simply denying good people access to guns. goodtj is right, paltiks and zip guns are cheap. the more you artificially raise prices, the more you'll have a thriving illegal gun market

i don't see how the prices you stated as examples could become true, at least not within the foreseeable future. I am not going to discuss hypothetical prices which are in my opinion, absurd.

I have actually given this much thought, I am leaning towards advocating for an educational attainment requirement to firearm ownership. At the very least prove that applicants can fully comprehend the user's manual and the laws on firearms. As the law is written today, there actually is a property value (or size) requirement, but we circumvent that somehow. I am not sure on the provisions but caliber and number of firearms allowed is tied to size of one's property. This I am not so keen on. Even a person renting a small pad will have something(someone) to protect.

People with that much assets in their name most likely have better than average self control and ability to delay gratification. if they didn't they most likely would have frittered it all away in no time.

if i am excluded and i really want to be included then i must figure out a way to meet the minimum requirement. guns are not for everybody.

yes it does work that way right now (i have yet to meet tricycle drivers, magbabaluts, magtataho type people at my gun club), but that is not what is being discussed. perhaps you would like it to be some other way, i respect that. cheapest legally acquired gun in the market would be an armscor 38spl, 11 grand plus anoher 6 grand for licensing, this is todays price. any hardworking honest person can come up with 17 grand, at least within a year or two at most. nobody who is truly deserving is being deprived. how cheap do you want it to be? how easy do you want it to acquire ba?

you are correct that high prices for legal guns make buying cheaper illegal ones more attractive (if available), not a perfect world.

my opinion is unchanged however i must say it was truly a pleasure reading your response and spending time to craft mine in return.