View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58   #6
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Bustedknee, sorry to hear about your medical issue. You should let me come up and take a deer in your backyard

I hope you get out and get something.

Which part of FL are you hunting? How is your deer population this year?

I was stationed in Panama City, FL in the 1970's and I found great deer hunting around there.
It didn't take me long to figure out the local techniques.

Early in the morning the locals would load up the truck with friends, dogs and beer and they would run deer until the beer was gone and the dogs were scattered (or too tired to run). By mid-evening they went home and the deer became active.

So, after work (a couple of hours before dark) I would head out to one of the local WMAs (Wildlife Management Area) and
experienced my first really good year of deer hunting.

Taking a single deer (or two) had always been a good year when I grew up in VA but that first year in the FL panhandle, I collected 5 deer? Two in one day (I had never dreamed of so many deer!).

I spent 35 years in Alaska and during that period the density of deer in VA, as well as many other states, improved drastically.
Some years ago I had a friend in the Orlando area that invited me to visit him so we could check out a WMA in his area. We did not see a single deer! There was more hog sign than deer sign!
As I drove down to FL from VA I had noticed large numbers of car-killed deer from VA through GA but the further south I drove in FL the less deer I saw.

I invited him to hunt on my place but that was an extremely long drive for my friend. But as it turned out, he knew a guy that hunted in a club in south GA, so he checked out that area and it was over-run with deer, compared with mid FL.

So I'm wondering about your area. Has the deer population improved over the years like they have in most places?

It seems every patch of woods around has deer in it. Even the public hunting areas are full of deer. Of course they hold a lot more does than bucks but there are several doe days in each season and does are always legal on private land.
Farmers around here can get Ag permits to shoot deer and leave them lay.
It really hurts me to see that, as much as I respect and love deer.

Maybe guys from other states will give us a report on their area.

Note about the deer in my yard: You know how in most marriages there is "our" money and "her" money?
Well, in my marriage there is "his" deer and "her" deer.
"Her" deer are in the yard and "his" deer are everywhere else.
So I have a box blind up on the mountain behind the house where the trails come down the ridge.