Thread: Best Camp Gun
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 18:28   #34
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I agree that a CCW is not to be ignored when camping, but to me the category of "camp gun" refers to some gun that I probably wouldn't have if I wasn't camping.

I prefer having my AK along when out in the woods...

In the lower 48, I also like an AK for a rifle that is always close-by when I am camping. I do not have a lot of money invested in an AK. Aks are usually reliable and can take a fair amount of neglect and abuse. I can put a fair amount of lead into a reasonably small area at relatively close range and if need be, I can repeatedly hit something smaller than the broad side of a barn at several hundred yards. As far as a handgun goes, I prefer to carry a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull in a holster and a Seecamp 380 in my pocket, just in case.

In Alaska I like to have a few 12 ga shotguns placed strategically around camp that supplement the hunting rifles. I also carry my Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull in a holster and a Seecamp 380 in my pocket. But I have been considering replacing the Ruger with a S&W 500 mag, either a 4”or a 5”, but I have not made up my mind yet on the barrel length.

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote