View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 23:13   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasky2112 View Post
Hi Everyone.
Forgive me for starting a new thread on this subject but I've been reading GT for many days...literally...researching this topic. I see a VERY wide range of responses to the below questions that I'd like to propose they be aggregated in this thread.

To the point, I have a new G20 (my first 10mm) coming and planned to just shoot it stock with some factory loads (PMC) and then reload those and handload some new Starline and Win brass. But I keep seeing pictures of blown cases, glock smiles and the like from folks loading hot/nukes in a stock Glock bbl. Since 10mm brass isn't laying all over the place like .40 S&W, I'd like to preserve the ones I buy best i can using the bbl I paid for with the gun. ;-)

That said:
If one likes to load hot, would it be better to get an aftermarket bbl with a 'better' chamber? I use a KKM in my .40's just to preserve brasslife...I'm not sure they are more/less accurate, IMO. Any preferences/experience re: AM bbls like SL, KKM, etc.?

I'd like to work up safe max loads in .40. Can I shoot reloaded .40's out of the G20 stock bbl RELIABLY /ACCURATELY... relatively? ;-)

Since quite a few shooters report they shoot .40's out of their stock and/or AM 10mm bbl's, what's the point of conversion bbls?? (10mm-.40, that is) Is it the 'use it for what it's designed for' principle?

Has anyone ever just dropped in a 6" AM bbl in place of the stock G20 4.6" bbl and felt it shot well? ...better? Why did you swap bbls?

Thanks to all in this forum and everyone sharing their experiences!
Congratulations on the new G20. You will love it.

I'll cut right to the chase, "going nuclear" is a risky proposition no matter what barrel you use. I have spent a lot of time loading for and shooting rounds through my stock gen 3 G20 barrel. The single biggest factor in safety is your loading practices -- not the barrel. I personally would not shoot a load in an aftermarket barrel that I deemed unsafe in my stock barrel. A little mentioned fact is that tighter chamber dimensions of aftermarket barrels can actually result in higher pressures.

200 grain handloads @ 1200 + run great in the stock barrel. All of the Buffalo Bore, Underwood, and etc. are safe in the stock barrel. I get an average of 9 reloads. Hot loads are loaded into new brass, then they are relegated to the reload assortment.

For the cost of a new AM barrel, you could buy at least 1000 new pieces of brass from Starline.

If shooting .40 is part of the future plans, that is a reason to get a new barrel. For sure. I see shooting .40 S&W out of my G20 barrel as one of those "can do" things in an emergency.

I was poping primers from a couple hundred .40 S&W brass in my G20 over the weekend (long story). I was loading them from mags and manually cycling the slide. One thing I observed was that the striker occasionally pushed the case forward into the chamber such that it popped out of the extractor. I could envision how a loaded round, upon iginition, would be shove the case back against the breech and slam it into the extractor. It would function ok, but it just seemed to potentially be a lot of wear and tear. There was more fore-and-aft movement than I expected. I had to get out the squib rod a few times to clear the case from the chamber.

Last edited by Taterhead; 08-06-2012 at 23:16..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote